NEW CLEARANCE
Tax shown based on shipping to United Kingdom gb flag , Change?

Running 80m Cat6a cable from house to outbuilding

Asked 3 years ago in Wired Network Infrastructure by Rob | 1 Answer

We have a remote outbuilding which needs a wired network and running the SWA Cat 6a shielded solid core looks like the right choice for 'bury and forget it for many years', but some installation questions come up as this is a relatively novel project for me:

1. Is this the right cable appropriate for direct burial (soft earth, ~6 inches down) or does it need a conduit? (Product 14782)
  2. What is the minimum curvature for routing the cable? (Bend radius about 8x12.2mm so about 10cm?)
  3. Is there any feasible option for routing to faceplate or is the sensible approach to terminate at inline junction box then regular Cat6a to faceplate?
  4. Any issues grounding the drain wire through copper plumbing already used for electrical grounding in the outbuilding or must the grounding be completely independent of the rest of the electrical circuits on which the networked devices will run?

There's already independent power laid to the building already so the network link just needs to be resilient and reliable for carrying data signals, no PoE or similar.

1 Answer

BEST ANSWER
ANSWER
Answered 3 years ago by Steve
If I were you I would put in a 40mm cable duct and just run duct grade Cat6. Cat6A is absolute overkill for the job and you have no requirement here for shielded cable. You may have more problems with shielded than unshielded, also the shielding should not be grounded to an electrical ground, it is grounded through equipment connected to mains or a patch panel. In the future if you need to go beyond 1Gigabit networking then you could pull through a fibre too. I've seen installs that have just run vanilla Cat5e over 90m, and it's in bad shape and badly installed and still tests a pass at 1Gb

Please login or register to answer this question
Compare 0
Google review badge